dimanche 8 novembre 2015

Gist



Before I became a control-tower operator in the Sixties, I had to take a course in enunciation ; a very short course, as I had no major, or even minor problems in that field. It made me realize, however, that I had a tendency to blur a small number of consonants.
It was a good course. It helped me when, later, I became a teacher. It helped me when speaking in public and giving lectures.
Over the past few years, I’ve noticed that more and more people use subtitles when watching television. Could it be that they are all becoming deaf ? Absolutely not, but actors no longer speak clearly. No need for subtitles when listening to the news, the weather forecast or the sound track of a nature program ; but switch to a drama or a police serial, and you miss about one word in five.
I can only conclude that film and television actors are still learning how to act, but they no longer learn how to speak. It wasn’t always like that. There is no need for subtitles when watching North by Northwest or Guess who is coming to Dinner ? The fact that Cary Grant or Sidney Poitier speak clearly does not impede their acting, or make them sound stilted and unnatural, or slow the flow of the plot in any way. So, if it could be done in the Sixties and before, why not now ?
I have often asked television viewers : “Did you understand what he said ?” Usual answer : “No, but it doesn’t bother me : I get the gist of it”. Are we living in an approximate world ? Have we become the “gist” generation ?

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire