dimanche 28 août 2016

Memorable driving moments, Part II





January 1967. Same Interstate, but going west, this time. My wife needs the car in Toronto, and I have to take a lot of things back to Pittsburgh, so I rented a car. I am at the wheel of a brand new Dodge Polara. She’s a delight : quiet, powerful, comfortable, the sort of car that makes you feel (quite wrongly, of course) that nothing wrong could possibly happen.

It’s starting to snow : very small flakes. Soon, the whole lugubrious landscape turns white : a distinct improvement. The Polara is by design an extremely quiet car, but on a thin layer of snow, she becomes completely silent. I so enjoy the silence that it would be a crime, I feel, to turn on the radio. I glide, I hover, I levitate. It’s absolutely exhilarating, especially as I am almost alone on the highway. I drive by the diner where I stopped before, and I can’t help wondering what happened to the pathetic bride and groom and their guests. I do wish them well.

The magic disappears as I branch off to get on to Interstate 79. Two and a half hours to Pittsburgh… Back to normality, so to speak.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire